Day 15: A letter to someone you wish you could meet
Let me start off by saying, I have nothing but respect and admiration for you. Many people will argue to say that you didn’t really do much during your time with the Corps of Discovery. I, however, totally disagree.
You were a quiet, humble Shoshone woman who was kidnapped at age twelve and then forced to marry a French trapper at the tender age of thirteen. You had a beautiful little boy named Jean-Baptiste who was with you, on your back, during the entire expedition. That in itself, was an amazing feat. I would have loved to have met you for many reasons. More so, however, I would have loved to have accompanied you. To have seen all those things for the first time. To watch you dive out of the canoe, Jean-Baptiste on your back, to rescue Lewis’ sacred journals.
No body knows for sure what happened to you later on. Some say you died in 1812 at the young age of twenty five shortly after giving birth to a little girl. Some say you died an old lady in 1884. But the life you lived, as the quiet Shoshone woman who’s mere presence provided safety to Lewis and Clark, was nothing short of amazing. To have met you and heard your telling of the story would have been a dream come true for me.
Rest in peace, Sacajawea. We will never forget your bravery, courage and strength.
Day 14: A song from your childhood:
Nostalgia set in after I began searching on Google for songs from my childhood. So there are a few starting with oldest to newest. Enjoy!
- “The Longest Time” by Billy Joel (1984) – This song was released the same year I was born so I don’t remember it when it first came out for obvious reasons. However, my Uncle John loved this song and would play it a lot in his black 80’s sports car. I remember distinctly this one time it came on the radio. My Uncle John and Dad were in the front seat and my older brother and I were in the back, it must have been 1988 or so [I was 4]. My Aunt Karen and Mum ran into the grocery store and we were all crammed into the hot, sticky car [it was summer]. Whenever I hear this song I remember that car, my uncle and the sweet memory of childhood.
- “We didn’t start the fire” by Billy Joel (1989) – I was five years old when this song came out. We were living in Wooster at the time. I remember “helping” my mum clean the house and she would play this cassette. I distinctly remember sitting on the couch and watching my mum dance with the vacuum cleaner to this very song one day.
- “No Rain” by Blind Melon (1992) – The Bumblebee Song as I remember it. All I remember from this video was the chubby girl dancing in the bumblebee costume. It was a few years old by the time I saw it on MTV but I remember it fondly.
- “Mary Jane’s Last Dance” by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (1993) – I remember this video because of the ending. When Mary Jane is floating in the water and all of a sudden her eyes pop open. I’m pretty sure it gave me nightmares.
- “Cryin” by Aerosmith (1994) – I was ten when this video came out. We were living in Penn Yan, NY and for some reason, we had MTV that year. This was the very first music video I ever saw.
- “Black Hole Sun” by Soundgarden (1994) – This music video freaks me out. It freaked me out then and it freaks me out now. I’m pretty sure I had nightmares from this song too. I love the song but it still haunts me a little. Yikes!
- “Stay” by Lisa Loeb (1994) – Another one of the very first videos I ever saw. I loved this song [and still do]. When I hear it I am instantly transported back into the living room of our rental house. With the brown shag carpet and mismatched furniture. The house behind us with the Doberman Pincher. More about that story later.
I could go on but those are the ones that came into my mind first. I enjoyed my little trip down memory lane. I hope you did too.
Day 13: Whatever tickles your fancy:
I stole these pics from another blog. I liked them. So I decided to share them for today’s Challenge.
Did you know, the phrase “tickles your fancy” was said to have originated from England from around the 1750’s.
Day 12: Post a self-portrait:
It’s a few months old but here you go…
Day 11: Share your favorite recipe:
I love to cook and bake so for me to find one recipe that I love above all others, is a bit difficult.
However, there is one recipe above all else that I love. It’s not mine, but my paternal grandmothers. I don’t have the exact recipe since it’s packed away in a box [my parents are adding on to their house and are living in a temporary house so most of their stuff is packed away]. However, when I find it, I’ll post it.
It’s for fruit cake. Now most of you Americans only know fruitcake as being this disgusting, hard loaf of bread filled with gross gooey fruit. My grandmother’s fruit cake, is none of those things. Her cake is moist, flavourful and delicious. My grandmother [my father’s mother] was born and raised in Australia. She was born in 1928 and loved to cook and bake for us when we lived in Australia [from 1989 to 1991]. I could probably list all of her recipes on here since they are all my favourite but I had to narrow it down to one. Every Christmas we would get a fruitcake in the mail. It was something we all looked forward too. Sadly she passed away a few years ago but her memory lives on every Christmas when my father makes her famous fruitcake. It tastes a little different since we use American ingredients but it’s still delicious.
I wish I had an actual picture of it, but I don’t. After scouring a lot of pictures on Google, I finally found one that best resembles my grandmother’s fruitcake.
Doesn’t that look amazing? I can’t wait for Christmas so I can have some!
Day 10: A letter to the person you hate most or caused you a lot of pain:
I don’t hate any one particular person. I can say that honestly. I do dislike certain people with great passion, but hate, no, not at all. So for me to write a letter to a person I “hate most”, that is impossible.
Now, are there people who have hurt me? Caused me a lot of pain? Yes, there have been. Over the course of my twenty-six years, I have been picked on, bullied, even tormented. There have been many people who have hurt me at some point or another whether it be intentional or not. But to pick out one specific person to write a letter to, I couldn’t. I won’t. The past is called the past for a reason. Live and let live.
To go through my twenty-six years of memories and remember all the pain would only make me bitter and undue all the years of forgetting and forgiving. So instead of writing a letter addressing the people who have hurt me with the intent to relive such experiences, I will write a letter of forgiveness.
To Whom It May Concern,
It has been ages since I have seen you. I’m sure you probably don’t even remember me let alone what you did. I was just another victim on your list. A kid who was different. But I’m not writing this letter to you, for you to pity me or perhaps, to feel guilty for what you did or said. No, I am writing you this letter to tell you that I forgive you. You were just silly kids, dumb teenagers, and selfish adults who wanted to feel superior momentarily and I was the easy target. I was the kid that you made everyone laugh at so you wouldn’t be the one laughed at. I was the teenager that would rather spend time with their family instead of partying and because you wished you had the family I had, you decided to make fun of me for it because you were envious of me. I was the woman who refused to lower her standards for you so you decided to find someone who would and leave me for her.
I want to tell you that I forgive you. That what you did to me, while it was painful at the time, means nothing to me now. It has made me stronger in the long run and for that, I thank you.
Day 9: List some of your favorite blogs
I don’t really have specific blogs that I follow on a daily basis. I do however, enjoy reading blogs by specific topics. I do try and check up on blogs I like frequently, but unfortunately, I forget to or am too busy too.
So instead of listing specific blogs I follow, I will list the types of blogs I read [when I can].
- Blogs written by Christians. I feel like there is this sense of connectivity between myself and fellow believers. I may be the only one who feels this way and have probably made myself out to seem very creeper-ish but oh well. Maybe it’s because we usually call each other “brothers” and “sisters” and therefore, I see them as extended family.
- Blogs written by Mommies. Those of you who have been following my blog for awhile, know that I want, more than anything, to meet that amazing guy God has created for me, settle down and make some adorable babies. Sadly, until that happens, I find myself living vicariously through the blogs of young mommies and wives.
- Blogs written by really Creative people. I like to consider myself creative though I am nowhere near as creative as some people I’ve met [or stalked]. I love finding new ideas for gifts, decoration, etc so I like to search creative people’s blogs. Also, I love interior design and love daydreaming about decorating my future house one day.
- Blogs written by people who are totally Unique. I love unique people, well, I love people in general but people who walk to their own beat, inspire me. I long to be that carefree.
- Blogs written by people who love to Cook. Because I love to cook and am always searching for new, tasty recipes to try.
- Blogs written by people who love taking Pictures of their lives. I’m nosy. I stalk my Facebook friends [and friends of their friends, yea, total creeper I am] by looking through their pictures. I love photos.
Day 8: A photo of you taken recently
This is a photo of Little Monkey and I. We were at our local Chinese restaurant having dinner with the fam. She was pretending to put a tattoo, or “cattoo” as she says, on her face. She’s still adorable even if she isn’t really smiling. I believe she was saying “cheese” at the time the photo was snapped.
Day 7: A YouTube video you find funny:
I’m already laughing thinking about it. I may end up posting more than one because, let’s face it, there are so many hilarious videos on YouTube! But I will, of course, post my most favourite.
Day 6: List of what you ate today:
- Slice of Oatnut Bread toast with butter and strawberry jam
- Glass of milk
- PB&J on Oatnut Bread
- Rice Pudding Cup [Kozy Shack makes the best]
- Mt. Dew [1 can]
- Chicken Tenders
- Unsweetened Iced Tea